Old August 28th 04, 10:53 AM
Alexander Plahr

Philippe Vigeral > wrote:

> Dans l'article >,
> aniram > a écrit :
>
>> With the formation of the European Union, I assume that the
>> license plates in country members of the European Union will be
>> uniform.

> Wrong premises. :-)

Exactly. :-) Actually license plates are a good example of
subsidiarity in action. The EU-logo on the license plates clearly
marks the car as being registered in the EU. Because the letter code
of the member country is also included (as described earlier in this
thread) there ain't no problems for law enforcement in looking up
the number in the appropriate database. So there is no need to
change to a common license plate.

By the way: Putting the EU-logo on license plates was a brilliant
idea. It actually gets many people to think about "those damn other
Europeans from xy" instead of "those damn French/Dutch/etc." when on
the road... ;-) Although that sounds funny, I regard that as a major
step forward in integration.

Best regards, Al

--
[de],[en]