Old August 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Blah Blah

In article >,
says...

> Matt wrote:
> >
> > I have a 2000 SL1 and the change oil light comes on between 4 and
> > 5,000miles. It is determined by temperature you drive, speed, stop and
> > starting, dust, etc.
> >
> > If in doubt change your oil (3,000 miles is usually a safe estimate).. I
> > usually do it ever 4,000.... I never go by the light...

> Why not? I persoanlly think the light is a great idea. 3,000
> or 4,000 mile oil changes are just wasting resources (and
> more importantly your money). When I purchased my Vue, the
> salesman told me about the light, but then told me I should
> change the oil every 3,000 miles no matter what the light
> said. I posted this story to this newsgroup. A GM engineer
> actaully contacted me offline to ask me the name of the
> salesman and to tell me the light was a well researched and
> good indication of the proper time to change the oil. I
> really do intend to use the light as an indicator of when to
> change the oil - although I've never actually waited quite
> long enough to have the light come on (convneience issues
> ahve always made me change the oil before the light came
> on).
>
> Ed

The problem with that light is it doesnt take into account a new engine
needs "break in" time nor does it know if you are using synthetic or
conventional or 5w20 or 10w40 nor does it know if your filter is being
bypassed. It also doesnt take into account that the longer you run your
oil the more your oil bakes onto and varnishes your engine. If I pull a
dipstick or oil cap on a engine with 6k mile oil change intervals, I'll
know. The longer you run without changing the oil the greater the chance
of a problem not being caught in time as well. Lord knows people dont
know howto pop their hoods these days and look things over.