Old March 3rd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Weird wiring for a weird car

Al Bundy wrote:

> Will wrote:
> > I *know* the charging system is not working. I've known that for a
> > long time. What I'm trying to get at is the cause, because the alt is
> > putting out voltage, and the regulator is new (though, granted, could
> > be faulty), and the battery must be at least good enough to take some
> > charge, otherwise I wouldn't be able to turn the engine over and drive
> > around.
> >
> > I thought not having any voltage showing up across the battery
> > terminals was a good indicator of a short, or rather, a missing ground
> > somewhere -- ignition switch was my inclination.
> >
> > I started to trace each of the 4 wires from the ignition switch, but I
> > don't think I know how to test a ground wire -- my test light won't
> > light up when connected to a good ground wire, will it? What else can
> > I do?
> >
> > Thank very much for your help,

> Somebody once said that if the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer,
> everything looks like a nail. Think about using a tool other than that
> one test light you have.

That should be: If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like
a thumb. ;-)

But its the right idea. The test light can't tell you whether the
battery is good, but dead and the charging system is hosed, or vice
versa. Take the car to a shop with a charging system tester.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Why are so many towns named after water towers?