Old March 2nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Weird wiring for a weird car

Will > wrote:

>Here are the two things I think are weird. The first may not be an
>issue, because I haven't tested any other cars to see if they do the
>same thing, but instinctively I think it's not right. When I put
>connect a test light from the postive to negative battery terminals,
>with the ignition OFF, the light lights up. When I turn the key, so
>ignition is ON, but the engine is not running, the test light does not
>light up. That just seems wrong to me, as if the ignition wasn't
>grounded or something. But you experts tell me.

No, the light isn't lighting up because you are placing a heavy load
on the battery. Either the battery is almost dead and unable to light
anything other than that single test light, or you are placing something
close to a dead short across the battery.

>The second thing, that is more at the heart of the problem I'm having
>(charging system not charging the battery) -- is this. With this car,
>ignition OFF, the alternator's + terminal should have power, and
>indeed, the test light lights up. And, both the Field wire on
>alternator, and Field and Ignition wires on regulator all do NOT light
>up with ignition OFF, engine OFF.

>However -- with ignition ON, engine OFF, all FOUR of those wires light
>up! -- though, I would estimate that the + terminal of Alternator and
>the Ignition wire of the regulator are getting more volts than the
>Field wire on both Alternator and Regulator, because the light is
>brighter on the + or ignition wires.

This does not correlate well at all with the earlier assertion up there
that a light across the battery doesn't even light up when the ignition
is turned on.

But, it's reasonable enough.

>Now, someone advised me that in that last scenario, ONLY the Field
>light should be on unless the battery is discharged (granted, which
>mine probably is), but I still think there's something screwy going
>on.... My next step is going to be bypassing the harness and connecting
>wires directly between Regulator Field and Alternator Field, and
>Regulator Ignition to Battery Positive Terminal.
>
>Any tips/suggestions/name calling?

I'd go back and check and make absolutely sure that the lamp across
the battery isn't lighting with the thing on. And if that really is
the case, I'd try and find out why.

I'd also get a voltmeter, and measure battery voltage with the ignition off,
with the ignition on, an with the engine running. That is really your
first step.

And if the battery is good, but is being pulled down when you turn the
engine to on, I'd check the ignition switch. As I recall it's fails
in bizarre ways on the 2CV.
--scott