Old November 6th 04, 11:26 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

jjs wrote:
> "Volksrod70" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>Does altitude have any effect on compression ratio?

> It lowers compression, but the ratio is the same.

At elevation, the pressure in the combustion chamber will be lower at
BDC /and/ TDC; this because you start out with less dense air: at one
mile elevation, air density is only 85.5% of sea level density, so
presumably when the piston is at TDC, the compressed version is 14.5%
less pressure than it would be at sea level.

The compression ratio does not change: If you have an 8:1 compression
ratio at sea level, it remains 8:1 in Denver. The swept volume of the
piston does not change, nor does the the volume of the combustion chamber.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus