Old April 21st 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ed's Red as a motor fuel

Andrew wrote:
> Those of you who are gun enthusiasts may of heard of something
> called "Ed's Red". Ed's Red is a home-brew gun cleaning solution
> made of 1 part acetone, 1 part tranmission fluid, 1 part kerosene,
> and one part aliphatic mineral spirits.
>
> I mixed up a a four-gallon batch in a jerry can and my inconsiderate,
> a-hole renter -- thinking it was gasoline -- performed a stupid
> automotive trick for my amusement by pouring the contents of the
> jerry can into the fuel tank of his truck.
>
> I can report to you that the truck only made it 2 blocks before
> it sputtered to a stop. Draining the tank and refilling with
> gasoline seemed to solve his problem. I wonder what fuel system
> components might negatively impacted by 25% acetone.
>
> I wonder what the main failure mechanism was? Too rich of a mixture
> for the engine to manage?

I don't know how such a home brew could cause the mixture to be too
rich - the ratio of fuel to air didn't change. It just would not burn
when atomized. I would worry more about the damage acetone and to a
lesser extent spirits might cause to seals and other rubber/plastic
components in the fuel system.