Old July 22nd 05, 03:05 AM

Well, I started trying to figure out what you found so humorous, but then I
realized that you haven't figured that out yet either, so when you do, why
don't you share it with the newsgroup? I'm sure we're all here on pins and
needles waiting for this one.

Chris

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> So put your money where you month is, it's only a half second away
> at National Hot Rod Association's
> http://www.nhra.com/stats/natrecord.html Until then you don't mind if I
> be Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off! waiting for you, of course
> I guess we could always go twelve cylinders. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> c wrote:
> >
> > Bill,
> > Do you know the difference between a rocket car and a jet car? I did not

say
> > that the jets were banned, in fact I went to see them at the local track
> > just a few weeks ago. I do still remember going to watch my first drag

race
> > at the same track 28 years ago, and the ROCKET car that was there that

night
> > ran a 4.93 ET at 344 MPH. This was 28 years ago when the Top Fuel cars

still
> > had the short wings, they shifted gears, and they didn't have the lockup
> > clutches like they do now. Also thousands fewer ponies too. I can't say

what
> > the TF cars were running back then, but I do know that the 4 second

barrier
> > was not broken until Eddie Hill did it the week after the US Nationals

in
> > 1988. He broke the 4 second barrier at the Texas Motorplex running a

4.93ET
> > if my memory serves me correctly. I was at Indy that year, and Gene Snow

and
> > I believe Joe Amato were in the finals. Snow had run a 5.002 in the semi
> > finals, and said he would get the 4 in the final, but his throttle

linkage
> > broke right after he launched. Anyway, my point here is that the rocket

cars
> > had got so fast, and I believe I remember hearing about a run that was

over
> > 400MPH and in the very low 4 second range, but that I am not sure of. I
> > think that was when all of the sanctioning bodies started banning the
> > rockets. Also, the Jets do sometimes hit a higher top speed than the TF
> > cars, but I haven't seen or heard of a jet that is close to a TF car as

far
> > as ET is concerned, and ET is what counts. Now, I'm sure if someone

built an
> > unlimited jet car based on the newest jet technology, it might be a
> > different story. I did find this page that only shows the records for a
> > particular track.
> >
> > http://www.mirdrag.com/records.htm
> >
> > It shows a 3 tenths of a second difference in favor of the TF car. This

ET