Old June 29th 04, 09:20 PM

"Simon C" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all
>
> I am looking to buy a late 60's/early 70's GTV (1750 or 2000) and would
> appreciate some buying advice/tips.
>
> I am not that mechanically-minded, so would like to know what should I look
> for in a car of that age and type.
>
> I have a seen a couple on the internet starting from early GBP4000 mark to
> just over GBP5000. Is this fair for a well restored version?
>
> I know I should've attended the Alfa day to get a good look around, but I
> got my June's and July's mixed up earlier in the month, so didn't make it!
> Are there any other events in the pipeline?
>
> Any advice is appreciated (apart from learning my calendar!!).
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon C
> 156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
> To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Hi Simon,
As one of our friends say, check the chassis under the radiator.
The floor panels front and rear, n/s and o/s.
Also the spare wheel well rots away. some old Ford Cortina wells fit.
£5000 should get you a good car, but check it out carefully.
If you do find a good one I'm sure you will enjoy it, I had a 2000GTV
for 8 years and have been tempted to buy another but sadly I am to old
to keep working on it, as you have to to keep it in tip top condition.
Mechanicaly they were better than most cars of that year [1965/1975].
People often call the Italian cars for rotting, but how many '65 fords
are still running and able to top 120mph and 130bhp. Infact Ford
didn't have a decent twin cam, and they had to go to Lotus for help.
Good luck, John, UK.