Old June 24th 05, 07:24 PM
Kevin Holzer

Rookie wrote:
> Honestly when I checked the oil I thought I saw something in there,
> but when I drained it ( 3rd change ) I didn't see anything in it.
> I do know it needs the valves adjusted, so I should find out if
> anything was done when they do those

You might want to have them check the crankshaft's endplay and retorque
the heads and case nuts (or do that yourself, easy if you've gotta
torque wrench and facilities to pull your engine). Ask them to tell you
how far out your valves are (as in right on, a bit out, or miles off),
when you get them done, that may help in determining how bad things are.
How does the engine sound now, after you've gotten new oil in there?
Are you running with a significant loss of power or does everything feel
all right? Does it leak oil? Did it leak oil?
No use worrying about what's already done -- just figure out how to deal
with it and do it. Listen to your engine and compare it to a well
running (and similar to your engine, exhaust specifically) VW engine.
Next time (engine wise), I'd say start from scratch with a mexican or
brazillian long block, or some new one somebody could build for you (or
you could build one for yourself...).

-Kevin