Old July 10th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

Default EVAP control system leak

wrote in
oups.com:

> I got a 98 Honda Accord. From more than a year ago, I spell gas around
> the gas tank whenever I finish driving and exit. Now the check engine
> light is on and I find the code to be 90. My Haynes manual says it's
>
> P1456 -- 90 -- EVAP control system leak near fuel tank
> P1457 -- 90 -- EVAP control system leak near canister
>
> I think it's the first one.

You have no way of knowing. Honda retained the old Check Engine light
flash diag for your generation, but did not provide the finely-grained
error coding supplied via the ODB-II port.

> The repair is probably beyond my capability
> for safety reason. The manual says "Fortunately, the evaporative
> control system, like all emission control systems, is protected by a
> Federally-mandated warranty". Does that mean I can get it fixed for
> free? If not, how much would it be approximately? BTW, I passed
> inspection in April so I think the gas cap is (or was) good.
>
> I'll talk to the dealer on Monday. Thanks for any advice.

You need to narrow down that code, which means a proper scan with an OBD-II
reader.

If the code is P1456, it's almost certainly the gas cap.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/