Old February 4th 04, 06:20 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Joseph Oberlander > writes:

> Stephen H. Westin wrote:
>
> > Joseph Oberlander > writes:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>I did like the Matrix/Vibe's folt-flat seats. What a concept to have a real
> >>hinge and cantilever system on the rear seats. No flopping the seat cushions
> >>forward - just fold and go.

> > Kinda like the '95 U.S. Escort?

> No. Folding flat is one thing. Folding flat while the seat cushion
> also moves at the same time to allow for a perfectly flat cargo area
> is another.

Sorry, I got the wrong decade. The '85 or so Escort had a linkage so
that you would just grab (and unlatch) the seatback, and the cushion
would flip up as the back came down. An improvement on the seats that
require you to swing up the cushion separately.

> The Matrix/Vibe system feels like you are closing a
> piano top - no friction or touching of the parts - just a simple
> drop down and presto-it's flat. Perfectly, sheet of drywall flat.

I imagine that the height of the vehicle helps here. Does the seat
back stack on top of the cushion? That wasn't feasible on the Escort,
as the load floor was too close to the floorpan.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin