Old February 4th 04, 05:47 PM
Joseph Oberlander

Stephen H. Westin wrote:

> Joseph Oberlander > writes:
>
> <snip>
>
>>I did like the Matrix/Vibe's folt-flat seats. What a concept to have a real
>>hinge and cantilever system on the rear seats. No flopping the seat cushions
>>forward - just fold and go.

> Kinda like the '95 U.S. Escort?

No. Folding flat is one thing. Folding flat while the seat cushion
also moves at the same time to allow for a perfectly flat cargo area
is another. The Matrix/Vibe system feels like you are closing a
piano top - no friction or touching of the parts - just a simple
drop down and presto-it's flat. Perfectly, sheet of drywall flat.

Two gripes about the Vibe/Matrix, though:

1:Storage underneath the rear floor is about 2-3 inches too short
to store the cargo cover. When I first saw under there, I thought:
"ah - a place to store the cover". Not so.

2: The rear side storage panels need to have proper hinges on
them and not drag on the floor panel. Also, they need to be
increased in size a little bit and a hole drilled in the bottom
to allow for storage of the headrests when the seat is down.

Having that nice fold-flat cargo area is moot if you have a cover
and two "footballs" that you can't put anywhere and are flopping
around.