Old May 26th 05, 04:30 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005, N8N wrote:
>
> > > Yes. VW couldn't make a reliable *popsicle stick* if their life depended
> > > on it.

> > Not this again...

> Yes, this again.

Right - any opportunity to bash VAG is a good opportunity...

> > When properly maintained (and they're really not that finicky) VW's are
> > VERY reliable cars.

> *IF* you happen to randomly get a good one.

I would suggest that getting a bad one is the random event. One need
not be a blind brand loyalist about everything (this applies from the
opposite direction as well), and even a VW fan can recognize that this
random chance is greater with VW than with Toyota.

> If you don't, no amount of
> "proper maintenance" will make it reliable.

A lemon is a lemon, no matter who makes it. But for most things, once
a VW is fixed, it stays fixed. VW diesel vehicles did not get a
reputation for being reliable and durable from some slick marketing
campaign.

And yes, I do realize your one experience with owning VW was with some
car made 16 or so years ago, and that it colors your perceptions. I'll
tell you, my experiences with VAG have been much more pleasant and much
less expensive than my brother's experiences with Dodge products. But
heck, over 20 years of owning VAG products, what do I know? I guess
all those cars were just "good luck" on my part? He's really ****ed
off about his Odessey minivan and it's crappy auto trans, and his
repair bill for that barely-out-of-warranty "Honda-reliable" will
exceed what I've paid to repair all of my VAG products for the last
four years. Which doesn't include the rental cars so that he can get
back and forth to work.

E.P.