Old March 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
Will Honea

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:58:25 UTC Old Crow > wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:35:57 -0600, JMH > wrote:
>
> >L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote in
> :
> >
> >I've looked into this a good bit at this point. I'm going to get a service
> >manual, it should have the page I need like stated below.
> >
> >I've looked at everything I can get my hand on, including the schematics of
> >Bosch sensors and have seen nothing mentioned about air. Not sure what
> >that even means myself :-)
> >

> He's right about the air charge. Not sure of the exact usage, and
> couldn't find it in the service manual(note time of post<g>), but the
> wires to the sensor *do* indeed carry oxygen to the sensor.
> At GM electronics training classes we were told *not* to splice the O2
> sensor wires, just for this reason.
> I've heard of cases where a really bad running engine, which is
> dumping a lot of oil into the exhaust will wick the oil up through the
> harness into the PCM.

I've heard the same story about O2 sensors and one I replaced in a
Mitsubishi PU several years back came with very detailed instructions
on how to coil any excess leads, don't pinch or kink the lead, why you
couldn't cut the lead off, etc. Same for an old Buick - but these
were the old single wire type of 15-20 years ago so I'm not sure how
they apply to current sensors. They've made at least some progress in
the last 15 years.

--
Will Honea