Old December 30th 05, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aquaria.marine.reefs

Default Home made fish foods

Eric Borneman's Famous Fish Food Recipe

(197 total words in this text)
(954 reads)

Eric Borneman's Famous Fish Food Recipe

Fish food and coral food (coral food is liquefied)
Ingredients

a.. a whole fresh sea fish
b.. 10 whole shrimp - I squeeze the heads
c.. 1 pound fresh mussels - cracked and scraped out
d.. 1 pound fresh clams including clam juice
e.. 1 8 oz container fresh oysters
f.. 1-2 fresh or frozen squid, whole
g.. 1 package frozen sea urchin cubes
h.. 1 12 oz package artemia (brine shrimp, frozen), thawed
i.. 6 types of dried seaweed Nori, Wakame, Hijiki, Dulse, Ano,
etc.) - available at Whole Foods market, health food stores, Asian markets.
j.. about 2 g. powdered sea greens/antioxidants or immune boost
complex
k.. 2 tbsp. marine flake
l.. 2 tbsp. VibraGro
m.. 2 tbsp. powdered spirulina
n.. 1 tbsp Super Selco
Optional (found frozen in Asian markets)

a.. ark shells
b.. periwinkles, etc...
Method

a.. Blend coarse ingredients in food processor
b.. Mix in fine ingredients (Artemia, powders, flake, Selco)
c.. Freeze in flats
This makes a LOT of food...approximately 10-12 quart size Ziploc
flats.

OPTIONAL: I also make a pigment complex of multiple fresh and health
food purchased pigmented animal and plant sources ( such as vegetables with
rich colors, carotenoids, etc), mixed with

"miskairal" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi all,

Does anyone have some hints on home made fish foods or a link to same?

I live 2 1/2 hours drive from the neares petshop that sells marine stuff
and it's becoming a drag plus I only have 5 fish and don't get through a
great deal of food but want it to remain fresher (even the frozen
stuff). I also want to give them a more varied diet and less flake food.
My pyjama cardinals will only eat the frozen brine shrimp so I'd really
like to find them more variety.

There is a van I've seen visit here once a week that sells seafoods. Not
sure what as I'm not a seafood fan but I assume there would be prawns,
fish, lobsters and stuff. What should I be looking for? Can I make up a
mix of some things and freeze it myself or could that be unsafe?

Thanks for any advice.
miskairal

Attached Images