Old March 12th 05, 01:28 AM
Comboverfish

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Well, you're missing a few things, most notably that light is not

measured
> in amps. it's measured in candela, candlepower, lux or lumens. There

is no
> such thing as "an amp of light". That's because different ways of

making
> light have different levels of efficiency. Except for the fact that
> they're amber and therefore introduce ambiguity into the front signal
> system, turn signal DRLs are dandy. They produce just about the

perfect
> amount of light, distributed through just about perfect horizontal

and
> vertical angles, for an effective daytime running light without

glare.

I understand the concept of amperage, light power, and efficiency. I
was just making a flip comment on the fact that manufacturers were
using what roughly amounts to an 1157 for DRL purposes. I would much
prefer series-ed high beams for the extra cost of the relays or module.
I'm not a safety nazi but I strongly feel that low output amber light
is significantly less noticeable in daylight than headlight style DRL
beams.

> Now if only they were white (or some color other than amber),
>they *would* be just about perfect.

Word. Thanks for the info. Especially the list of GMs, er, I mean
manufacturers that use turn signal DRLs.

Toyota MDT in MO