Old July 15th 05, 06:41 PM
Dan

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:35:57 -0500, "Jack Carter"
> wrote:

>I've been wondering the same thing. I also get varying gas mileage on road
>trips. Let's hope someone comes up with an answer. My overall mileages are
>about the same as Dan's, but I've only got about 2000 miles on mine.
>

> "Victor DiMichina" > wrote in message
>> Is there any way to know if the MDS system on the Hemi is actually
>> working? We have a 2005 Magnum RT and there have been trips where I

>get
>> 24mpg, and others where I can't get better than 20mpg. Cruise control
>> is used frequently on these highway trips.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vic
>> 2005 Magnum RT

This discussion about whether the MDS is working has got me thinking
about some of the diagnostic data I can see on the center display in
the instrument cluster. The more I think about it, the more I believe
that there is way to tell if it's working by using some of the data
that's available there.

There are some things in the diagnostics which are as plain as day,
such as the display for oil pressure or throttle position. But then
are other things which I have yet to interpret. I wonder if there is
something there that will answer the question about whether MDS is
working.

Try this. On the steering wheel, hold down the buttons with the
musical note and the compass symbol. That's the two lower, inner
buttons. Hold them down about 10 seconds until the center display in
the cluster lights up with data. Now use the up arrow (top left
button) to scroll through the 9 or 10 different screens of diagnostic
stuff. To return to normal display, push the compass button.

Does it look to you like there is something there which might indicate
whether MDS is working???? There is one screen with values for
"right" and "left" which change while you are driving. Do you suppose
this screen shows something related to MDS?? Now that you've got me
thinking about this, I'll have to watch it while I'm driving. I have
written the above information from memory, without actually being in
the car, looking at the display.

Dan