Old June 25th 05, 04:19 AM
Jim Warman

Why not wait a bit to see if the scope of the recall is expanded. If you are
concerned, disconnect the switch and see if there is any brake fluid
intrusion. AFAIK, the concern arises when brake fluid enters the switch
cavity and creates problems.

FWIW, the recall is "two stage",,, one for with fluid contamination and one
for without fluid contamination. None of the ones that I have serviced have
had fluid contamination.

"Simon H" > wrote in message

> "Weldon Wallick" > wrote in message
> > This problem was in a local paper where F 150's have caught fire from
> > faulty cruise control cut off switches. They said the same switches
> > are in some Explorers such as my 2002.
> >
> > The switch is 20 or so dollars.
> >
> > My question: can I easily change the switch?
> >
> > Concerns: that brake fluid might run out or air might get into the
> > brake system.
> >

> How would you know that the new switch is less likely to spontaneously
> combust than the existing switch? It's taken them a good few years to

figure
> out that there just might be the slightest possibility that an
> infinitessimally small fraction of all the switches ever fitted might
> possibly, just possibly if there's a 'R' in the month, there's a full moon
> and the wind is in the right direction, cause a fire. How good was the
> quality control in the factory that made the new switches?
> You need to weigh up those odds against the very real possibility of

losing