Old October 30th 04, 04:11 PM
Phil Newnham

Mitch_A wrote:
> "Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
>

>>Not strictly true: Dutch, Belgian, Polish and original French government
>>were exiled, but whatever part of their armies they had left after the
>>Blitzkrieg were put under British command and continued to fight the
>>Germans throughout the war. Also, there was partisan action against the
>>occupying forces throughout the Balkan and the north of Spain.

> Yes they did and for that were ALL grateful even to this day (they were
> after all the greatest generation). That said though they were a force with
> little ability to wage war against Hitlers war machine.

The Poles and the Free French flew with the British in the Battle of
Britain. When we were down to our last few aircraft and pilots, they
were among them, and they were an important part of the Few. The French
resistance helped a lot to disrupt and destroy supply lines and made
life much more difficult for the occupying forces in France. They also
helped spy on the enemy, which was all part of the effort.

>>The blunt truth is that, almost without exception, everyone had
>>underestimated the strike capability of the German army and, more
>>importantly, that it's new make up and tactics made a mockery of the
>>static defenses our conservative militaries relied upon.

> The Maginauo?? line. What a joke. One of these days Im going to go see all
> this wonderful history for myself.

The Magino line (no, I don't know how to spell it either, but that's
what I remember from school) was actually really fantastically well
constructed, with one oversight. The French believed that Hitler would
respect Holland's and Belgium's declarations of independence, and did
not build the line along the border with Belgium. Hitler ignored the
declarations, swept through Holland and Belgium, and swept up the Magino
line from the one direction it did not expect attack - behind.

--
Phil