Old July 23rd 05, 12:59 AM
James C. Reeves

"ray" > wrote in message

> FWIW, I have discussed this with Manitoba Public Insurance... (in Canada
> DRLs became mandatory in 1990)... and they charge the same rates for
> 1989-90-91 Berettas and the same rates for 1989-90-91 Camaros, so it's
> showing me that they don't see a decrease in collision rates for those
> cars. They've referred me to the Insurance Bureau of Canada... I feel I'm
> either entitled to a discount for my "safer" Beretta (1990) with DRL's or
> that DRL's are going to be proven to be a non-issue for saving lives.

My insurance company basically told me the same thing 2-3 years back. DRL
equipped vehicled do not have a "reduced loss profile" when compared to
non-DRL equipped venicles". What that means is that insurance rates will
not be reduced since there isn't a safety benefit (obviously). They also
told me that the exception was New York State, where the state legislature
*mandated* some percentage reduction in insurance rates for DRL equipped
vehicles by law, even though insurance loss data doesn't support it.

> And FWIW, I think DRL's on two lane highways are good.

Possible, but I'm not convinced. In 1978 (I believe was the year),
Wisconsin state did a "lights on for safety" study on a particularly
accident prone stretch of highway 12. The result was that the accident rate
was unchanged...no difference. But then there are other studies that seem
to indicate otherwise. One thing for sure, all the "studies" taken together
appear to be largely inconclusive. Given that, the real world statistics is
all we have left..the insurance industry data.

> But they are pointless in rush hour, which is where I spend 90% of my
> driving, so that's why I've disabled them. I know where the headlight
> switch is and I know when it needs to be used.

Most people do. Although, some people out there probably do need the
"crutch". For those people that know they don't, they should be able to
decide for themselves.