Old November 6th 04, 06:54 PM
Roy

"Steven M. Scharf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>> "common sense says that when any car is put in NEUTRAL the wheels are

>> dis-engaged from the transmission."

>> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the wheels are

>> disengaged from the engine not the transmission.

> No. Common sense says that when the car is in neutral the transmission is
> disengaged from the engine. The wheels do not connect to the engine.

The wheels do connect to the engine through the drive shaft(s) and the
transmission. The transmission is the tool that is used to break the
connection between the engine and wheels when it is in neutral, or in the
case of a manual transmission, when the clutch pedal is presssed. You could
also disconnect the drive shaft(s) which would disengage the wheels from the
transmission but that requires a lot more work than shifting into neutral.
I don't see why if spending $50,000 to $100,000 on an RV they don't just
shell out a few hundred more for a dolly trailer for the car anyway. The one
I used to used was as easy to load as driving forward a few feet, strapping
the tires down and hooking the safety chain.