Old July 22nd 05, 08:14 PM
Max Reheat

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:38:44 +0100, > selected
combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:24:18 GMT, Max Reheat
>, wrote:
>
>>>If you mean the change to the nasty moulded all-in-one
>>>centre console with a silly slot for your CD then I agree with
>>>about mid 2002.

>>How, what, why?
>>Define "nasty" in the context of "moulded all-in-one".
>>Define "silly" in the context of "slot for your CD".

>I erroneously thought that the expressions were obviously
>those of Personal Taste.

Perhaps you should have made it clear; the OP might have got the idea
that you were expressing the opinion of the NG.

> I happened to think that the move
>to the moulded all-in-one console looks "cheap" and "tacky".

I've not been in a pre-MY2002/06 156, so I can't say how many parts
the dash has. I personally prefer the lack of (gaping) seams that
I've seen in other cars.

>The single slot is silly because it removes the users choice of
>header unit. Not everyone wants music in their car, but those who
>do had previously had the choice of CD, MD, or Cassette. To have
>widened the range to include such as USB I would consider a step
>forward.

So you've missed all the postings regarding changing the header unit
for an alternative? AIUI, a surround is available to allow a standard
header unit, of your choice, to be fitted. Or do you mean you want
manufacturers original equipment and no-other will do? If so, you're
the first person I've ever heard of with that view (which you're
entitled to, of course).

I don't know of any current vehicle that has USB and cannot see any
practical use for it except perhaps to connect a laptop to the ECU.
Top Gear showed the standard line-in connectors provided in the (IIRC)
Citroen C4 (apologies to the NG for using the C-word). All new cars
ought to provide a line-in and 12v and 5v power for portable/personal
audio players of any type. (An optical connection might be going a
bit far).

> To remove user choice and use a cheaper cost cut unit is
>not adding value to the range.

I don't remember Blaupunkt doing cheap (over-priced, yes. Cheap, no).

>Personal choice, but one that prospective buyers "might" appreciate
>being made aware of. Some may choose to buy a year earlier and
>the audio they want. I know that I am happier with MD header and CD's
>in the boot. They may not be interested in ICE and prefer the "Ford look"

Er, Ford look? (apologies to the NG for using the F-word.) Apart from
the Focus, the Ford look is 'Bland' - honest, they've trade marked it
>;o). I wouldn't say that of any Alfa I've been in; though to be

honest that's limited to 156, 156 GTA, 147, and 147 GTA.

>>Oh, and while you're at it: what's got *your* goat?

>My goat is perfectly happy and still living at Drucillas
>in East Sussex :-) Visitors should check for opening times.

Glad to hear it.

--
Max Reheat () - deselect Part Throttle Reheat to reply.

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Veloce
Lancia Dedra 1.8i.e.SE