Old April 2nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default How do you store your hard top?

Thanks!
Here's my addy:
kate at selby.ws

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
. ..
: The TJ hardtop I can do myself. The rack I built uses perforated steel
(like
: what you'd use to mount a garage door opener) making two frames attached
on
: either side of the top. The top hoists between the steel frames, and I use
: 2x4's across the frames to support the top.
:
: send me a good email addy and I will shoot you a pic, but the hard top
: isn't up there now.
:
: The vertical rack for Linda's TJL ins't here, it's in a storage facility.
: Glass down on that one. It's kind of a pain to wrestle around with that
top,
: just because it's longer and heavier. When we got that Jeep (purchased
used)
: it didn't have a soft top, so we ordered one from a dealer on eBay. The
: Unlimited hard top is such a bear I have a good mind to sell the damn
thing
: this spring when I switch tops.
:
: No trouble with warpage, the hardtop is flexible enough that it will
re-fit
: once it is put back on.
:
: "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: ...
: > Thanks Matt..
: > that's what we were kind of thinking. Hubs could fabricate something for
: > me
: > without all the $$$.
: > I have some questions though.
: > Do you have any trouble with warpage?
: > How hard is it to wrestle the top onto the storage rack?
: > Glass up, or down?
: > Any photos?
: >
: > "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
: > . ..
: > : For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up in
the
: > : garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall enough
: > park
: > : the Jeep under it.
: > :
: > : I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's hardtop,
: > but
: > : couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So I
: > made
: > my
: > : own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems to
: > work
: > : just fine.
: > :
: > : "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : >I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual
says
: > : > store it flat on the floor.
: > : >
: > : > Is anyone using the vertical cart system?
: > : > Any other suggestions?
: > : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for
: > it,
: > : > we
: > : > may just leave it up there like a pinata...
: > : >
: > : > Kate
: > : >
: > : >