Old September 10th 04, 02:11 PM
Alfistagj

May I add:
Hunting idle speed is a typical sign of a dirty airinlet butterfly housing.
The seat of the butterfly valve in the housing gets dirty over time due to a
build op of microns of dust that stick to the oilly air cars mostly
"breath". It as those small particals that are too small to be filtered out
by the airfilter.
Due to this dirt build up, the butterfly valve doesn't close fully anymore,
but that is what the electronics expect.
Never the less, more air goes through than expected, the amount of air is
measured and the electronics start adding fuel and the revs go up. etc etc.
Just take of the rubber hose connected to the air filter housing on top of
the engine and clean the circumference of the butterfly valve seat with a
bit of thinner on a cloth.
Put the rubber hose back again, secure the hose clamps and that's all.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Stef" > schreef in bericht
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> John > wrote:
> >When turning the steering wheel whilst the car is in a stationary
> >position like when preparing to park the car the engine often cuts
> >out, has anyone seen this or know what the cause is?

> This sounds pretty normal, depending on how often you think is
> often. Steering loads the engine and when the engine is idling,
> it is easily stalled. Also happens with the 33 and 75. But you
> feel a bit silly, stalling your enigine when you turn into your
> parking space. :-) Do you have the aircon and lights on as well
> when it happens?
>
> >Also when the engine is idle the revs go up and down eratically, is
> >this a common trait of the 156? If so how do I fix it?

> How eratic? It's normal when the enigine wobbles a bit when just
> going to idle, but should even out pretty fast. Anything more
> sounds like a problem somewhere. Others may know what that is. If
> this problem is fixed it may well lessen your steering problem as
> well.
>
> --
> Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by

mail)