Old July 8th 05, 04:36 AM
Wound Up

"RichA" > wrote in message
> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> the Japanese route and provide real power
> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> 6 at all) only to the V8.

It's all about marketing, Rich. Not every person, male or female, wants the
8 and all its expense. I'm not sure I would, in the current model. Of
course, I'd likely lease one, and not modify it. I have a tricked '67 with
a tuned and cammed 302 that satisfies my rubber-burning needs. I'd like me
a nice V6 without its price premium as a daily driver. Yeah, I said it.
Even an SN95 V6 would be nice.

So, you're down on this V6, fine. Just think back to the 232 V6 in the
Mustang and Capri of 20 years ago. Garth can tell you that it was and is
definitely smooth and reliable, and has decent torque. But even politely
driven, with an automatic, it got 15-17 mpg and put out (they said) 110 hp.
Floored forever, and in decent tune, my friend's '83 auto Capri did a
whopping 113 mph. Woo-hoo. We paced it with a new Impala SS 454 in 1992.
It just was not the goal of that car.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65