Old March 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
Jim Yanik

(Matthew Russotto) wrote in
:

> In article >,
> The Real Bev > wrote:
>>Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
>>
>>> Biggest problem I have with 'em is they only display two digits ...

>>What makes me want to heave a rock into the works: When I'm on my
>>bicycle and it says "14 MPH - SLOW DOWN."

> It should say "14 MPH? PEDAL HARDER, SLOWPOKE!".
>
> They don't read people on inline skates very reliably. They put one
> at the bottom of a hill (of course) near me, and I spend some time
> skating down the hill to get it to read over the limit. Managed it,
> but unfortunately I didn't have the racing skates with me, so I only
> got a little over the 25mph limit. It wouldn't read until I was very
> near it, and it would preferentially read cars behind me.

Radar needs a certain amount of metal to reflect enough signal to overcome
the ambient noise.That's why Corvettes were regarded as "stealthy" because
of the non-metallic fiberglass body,concealed headlights,and radiator
angled downward,reflecting radar energy into the ground and not back to the
xmtr.
It's also why 18 wheelers farther away get read instead of a small car
closer to the radar gun.

If you covered your torso in Al.foil,you'd get clocked at a greater
distance.

8-)

--
Jim Yanik