Old January 23rd 05, 04:01 AM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:38:54 -0500, "James C. Reeves"
> wrote:

>Couldn't in my 1967 GTO. The engine torque far overpowered any brake
>pressure I could place on the brake pedal. Now the car wouldn't actually
>move (the front brakes kept it in place)...but it would sure billow plenty
>of smoke from the spinning rear tires!

And if it had been front wheel drive?
That's the rub with many of todays high powered vehicles. You have
antilock brakes that are made as small as they can get away with to
keep the weight down (and since they have antilock, it is hard to
overwork them anyway) and now we have cars with more horsepower than
the old muscle cars. The power brakes are engine vacuum operated, and
the vacuum goes for a dump when the engine is under load.

So, yes, there are MANY cars on the road today that would have a hard
time restraining the engine with the brakes even well below full
throttle.