Old June 12th 05, 03:04 AM
Sherman L. Cahal

Johann Fitzgerald wrote:
> Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> too.

What an idiotic statement. What would happen in the winter, when the
water inflitrates the pothole, causing it to break apart even more? And
then seep into the subbase and cause the road to fall apart? I mean,
hell, you are proposing NO maintaince on the road at all, so why not
turn it into gravel? Your statement is conclusive to that; that is what
the road will become without work to prevent these obstructions.

What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
them become wastelands?

And your comment that it will slow traffic down is stupid. Speed humps,
traffic circles and signs are much more effective. There is _no_ reason
traffic should be going 5 MPH at any rate. 20 MPH is the lowest I have
seen a residental street posted, and even that was too slow. 25 MPH
would have been more effective.