Old December 7th 04, 05:30 AM
Neil Nelson

In article <lq9td.453364$%k.326816@pd7tw2no>,
Ray > wrote:

> A computerized shop manual is a PITA to browse through.
> I'm a computer guy, my machines are in the house. No PC in the garage
> yet. And I'm not touching my laptop after working on a car - way too
> greasy.

A Panasonic Toughbook is just the ticket in a shop environment.
Keep some Go-Jo wipes handy or use latex gloves and they survive
quite well.

> And a shop manual is pretty much ESSENTIAL for ODB-II diagnostic
> procedures. Good luck diagnosing a P1039 with a Haynes manual that
> covers 4 engines over 9 years and 2 nameplates. (93-02 Camaro/Firebird
> for example.) The diagnostic section for ODB-II is probably thicker
> than the entire Haynes manual.

Or use MOD or AllData, print out the flow charts before you get
your hands dirty, then toss the copies when you're finished.
(laser printers are under $100 now)