Old January 24th 05, 06:51 PM
R E O Sportwagon

Stef wrote:
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Ross > wrote:
>
>>Hi All
>>
>>The rear screen of my 2002 147 seems to have spontaneously shattered some
>>time today! On closer inspection is appears to have broken from the inside
>>out, rather than had something thrown/banged against it from the outside.

>>Has anybody else had this problem with their 147?

> I don't have 147, but a while ago I saw a dutch consumer TV program
> which had numerous complaints like this on another make of car (I don't
> remember wich). The rear windows shattered spontaneously. I think it
> was due to a construction fault which put too much stress on the window.
> Maybe you can check with a consumer oranization or report it to them to
> see if there are more cases or if you have just an unlucky isolated case.

Early Smart cars had this problem, I think it was caused by the pattern
of the heater element causing excess heat in one area. They solved it by
changing the pattern of the element.

I've not heard of this on an Alfa before so maybe a different cause. Did
you have the rear window demister on?

R E O Sportwagon