Old February 2nd 05, 10:25 AM
Spack

Mark wrote:
>> I'd also suggest you change your stereo to an OEM one if you can.
>>
>> IMO, the after-market stereos are trouble unless they are crappy or
>> have extensive anti-theft features that are very very obvious. These
>> *&(&*&! aren't very bright but they do know OEM stereos are not worth
>> the trouble. It may save you more heartache if you change the
>> stereo.

> You can't get more obvious than a stereo without controls on it and no
> identifying features.
> All you see is a blank black face with a flashing red light - no
> model, no make, no brand, nothing.
>
> Stereos are more a crime of opportunity these days. If you leave your
> car in a dark place overnight, expect something to happen to it.

Only had one stereo stolen from a car (not my 320, my old Rover 214). Midday
Sunday, broad daylight, across the road from terraced houses, and nobody saw
a thing. They must have been in and out fast - I was only away from the car
for 30 mins, and I came back to find wires hanging out of the DIN slot,
screwdriver marks all around it, and my sunglasses missing too. It was the
first, and last time, I'd forgotten to take the front off the stereo. Still
didn't stop someone else breaking into it a month later outside my house
while I was at work (crank seal had blown out so the car was immobile for 2
days while waiting for a mechanic friend to take a look at it) despite the
wires hanging out of the dash making it blindingly obvious there wasn't
anything worth stealing.

And to top it all off the local police station was closed, and report I
filed online (for the original theft) never got followed up - at least the
contact I was supposed to have received within 2 working days never
occurred.

Dan