Old January 5th 05, 06:31 AM
Calif Bill

"JR North" > wrote in message
> /rant
> The main beef I have with SUVs is the people who drive them have little
> or no experience with the shifted drivers perspective due to the
> elevated eye level. I have come within a short hair's width of being
> broadsided TWICE by Lincoln Navigators, who's drivers ran a stop sign on
> an intersecting side street. This is because they are used to looking UP
> at a stop sign in a car. The elevated eye level in an SUV puts the sign
> about level with the driver. So, it doesn't register. People who are
> used to driving trucks do not make this error. The higher driver
> position causes an error in judging the distance of the car in front,
> and sometimes not even seeing it because it is below the drivers
> straight ahead line of vision. I was waiting to turn left into a 7-11
> with my brake and T/S lights on in my '70 Datsun Roadster. I glanced in
> my RVM to see a Ford Expedition barreling right at me at 45mph. I
> stomped the gas and got out of her way just in the nick of time. I could
> see her face as I glanced- see was staring straight ahead- didn't even
> see me sitting there. If I hadn't moved, I would have been killed-
> literally run-over by that monster.
> Suvs rear-end cars for the above illustrated conditions. I have 3
> neighbors with SUVs, all 3 currently have front end damage.
> As I said, look at the number of cars with rear end collision damage
> well above bumper height.
> I have had SUV's repeatedly change lanes into me(without colliding),
> because they can't see smaller cars next to them.
> Am I discourteous to SUVs? You bet. I can't trust one behind me, and
> can't see around one in front of me. If one is next to me, I'm just
> waiting for it to swerve into my lane. If one is approaching on a side
> street, I expect it to run the stop sign. This is no way to drive with
> peace-of-mind.
> The main problem is the nitwits that drive them have no experience
> driving a large, high vehicle.
> I'm just counting the days till I get killed by one.....
> \rant
> JR
>
> Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> > Three times in the past week or so, I've noticed something I don't
> > recall seeing befo someone with a high-riding pickup or SUV who had
> > two to six inches of drop hitch -- installed upside down.
> >
> > Two of them had a trailer on, and in the worst case, a flatbed behind a
> > Ford Excursion, the upside-down apparatus combined with the tall
> > vehicle to leave it sitting at maybe a twenty-degree angle. I'm
> > surprised he didn't leave his trailer taillights on the speed bumps --
> > or his cargo on the road going up a steep hill.
> >
> > Just for completeness, I went to a local store and looked at the
> > catalogue from one of the big makers of trailering tools and toys.
> > Sure enough, it contained not only instructions but photographs showing
> > what things are supposed to look like when properly rigged. Somehow
> [...]

Maybe you are bad driver. I now drive an SUV and a Chevy 2500 truck. I
have been hit over the years, including those when I drove non-suv, by
several vehicles. None an SUV or truck. An Oldsmobile while stopped at a
red light. A BMW at a stop light in San Francisco. hitting a Chevy 2500
truck trailer hitch does no damage to the truck at commute stop and go
speed. I have had my S-10 Blazer hit when it was 2 weeks old. Stop and go
on the freeway off ramp. Older Datsun. A fullsize T-bird hit my regular
car while parked. A honda civic in a parking lot. From his perspective I
had to be large, so why did he drive into me while I was in a parking slot.
I was about 2' from the Expedition when he ran into me. A guy fell a sleep
driving through a parking lot and smashed the rear bumper and corner of my
s10 p/u while driving a small rental car. Fact is, I have been hit 5 times
while parked. None were an SUV.
Bill