Old May 13th 05, 09:13 PM

Default Help with compression readings

Hi,

My 140K mi 88 Accord DX has a compression spec of 170 psi, min 135 psi,
max difference 30 psi.

My readings are from a cold engine: 160 190 130 210. They numbers
increased steadily during several revolutions of the engine. Plugs are
uniform, with some fluffy white deposits.

My reason for making the measurement is a sudden loss of power,
stalling, backfiring, etc., after making a short stop and restarting.

No overheating on the limp home, no sign of water in oil or vice versa.

Can any conclusions be drawn from the cold readings? If the warm
readings are similar, would these numbers explain the symptoms? or do I
just have excessive wear in one cyl, and carbon buildup in two?

Thanks,
JB