Old July 3rd 05, 05:50 AM
Ray O

"DTJ" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 20:35:28 -0700, "Bernard Farquart"
> > wrote:
>
>>"DTJ" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I have never heard of one failing. Other than the typical urban
>>> legend you hear on the Internet.

>>I hate to tell you this, but I sell auto parts for a living,
>>and I have seen many people come in holding parts of a
>>timing belt, needing a new one. I usually tell them they
>>are going to need more work than just a belt,
>>but people like to try the cheap before spending
>>big time cash.
>>
>>I had a timing belt on a volveo strip the teeth off at the
>>crank while I was leaning over it trying to figure out
>>why it was running like crap.(I figured it out then)
>>
>>Bernard
>>
>>of course, I am posting this in USENET, so it
>>still could pass for your urban myth, based on that

> It could. But I have faith in your honesty.
>
> Still, as you know, your "data" does not a survey make. While I admit
> that it is likely that your experience will hold true across a larger
> sample, it is possible that the area you work in is more prone to belt
> failure, or that you have a lot more people who drive harder, or have
> higher mileage cars, or something else. In any case, I have yet to
> hear of a failure, and I am not about to shell out a grand for Honda
> to replace it. 165000 miles and counting, on a car that gets driven
> harder than 90% of vehicles on the road. I frequently do over 80MPH,
> commonly over 90, and I would guess about once a month I break 100.
>
> Now, there is a greater chance it will break soon due to my having
> replaced the radiator, but not the fans, and thus it is running hotter
> than normal. So you have peaked my interest.

I don't have much Honda experience, but I also have seen timing belts break
many times. I have never seen one break before 1.5 times the recommended
change interval, more often the ones I saw were around double the
recommended interval. I have seen timing chains break as well, but not
nearly as often and not in the past 10 or 15 years or so.

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply