Old July 3rd 05, 05:22 AM
DTJ

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 20:35:28 -0700, "Bernard Farquart"
> wrote:

>"DTJ" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I have never heard of one failing. Other than the typical urban
>> legend you hear on the Internet.

>I hate to tell you this, but I sell auto parts for a living,
>and I have seen many people come in holding parts of a
>timing belt, needing a new one. I usually tell them they
>are going to need more work than just a belt,
>but people like to try the cheap before spending
>big time cash.
>
>I had a timing belt on a volveo strip the teeth off at the
>crank while I was leaning over it trying to figure out
>why it was running like crap.(I figured it out then)
>
>Bernard
>
>of course, I am posting this in USENET, so it
>still could pass for your urban myth, based on that

It could. But I have faith in your honesty.

Still, as you know, your "data" does not a survey make. While I admit
that it is likely that your experience will hold true across a larger
sample, it is possible that the area you work in is more prone to belt
failure, or that you have a lot more people who drive harder, or have
higher mileage cars, or something else. In any case, I have yet to
hear of a failure, and I am not about to shell out a grand for Honda
to replace it. 165000 miles and counting, on a car that gets driven
harder than 90% of vehicles on the road. I frequently do over 80MPH,
commonly over 90, and I would guess about once a month I break 100.

Now, there is a greater chance it will break soon due to my having
replaced the radiator, but not the fans, and thus it is running hotter
than normal. So you have peaked my interest.