Old July 26th 05, 01:22 PM
Malt_Hound

J Strickland wrote:
> "Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
>
>>J Strickland wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks to an old lady in double-knit, lime-colored pants, it looks like
>>>my 325i has met with an early demise. It seems that old people in double
>>>knit have not mastered left turns when other cars are approaching, this
>>>seems strange since they have had so much practice. At first glance, it
>>>looks like my car should have survived, but the body shop guy is telling
>>>me that he thinks the insruance company is going to total it. It's a sad
>>>day.
>>>
>>>I'm probably going to be getting another BMW, I'm leaning toward the '97
>>>328, or a similar vintage 5 Series.
>>>
>>>My trouble is, I know the M50 motor used in my 325 is rock solid, and I
>>>assume the 328 also takes the same motor. The 5 Series gets a V8, that I
>>>have heard is troublesome, and drinks way more gas.
>>>
>>>If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528
>>>that gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse
>>>than my 2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a
>>>lower RPM. I'm thinking that the heavier 5 Series with more torque will
>>>feel much the same as my lighter 3 Series with less torque. Is that the
>>>right way to look at this?
>>>
>>>In all likelihood, I'll be getting another 3, and probably a 328, either
>>>a 4 door or a convertable. When looking at the 5 Series, the discussions
>>>around here lead me to believe that I should get the I6 and stay away
>>>from the V8, is that right?

>>Jeff,
>>
>>Very sorry to hear of the demise of your car. I know you were attached to
>>it. I don't know if you knew this (previously) but insurance stats show
>>that your exact situation (one car making and improper left turn) is the
>>very one involved in the most accidents.
>>
>>My advice is to find a 328i 5 speed, 4 door. There are plenty of them out
>>there and if you are willing to do some leg-work you can find one that has
>>been well cared for, has low mileage and at a reasonable price.
>>
>>If I were going to replace my '95 325i right now, it is the exact car that
>>I would be looking for too. I have the 2.8 double vanos engine in my Z3
>>and I can tell you that it is a significant improvement over the single
>>vanos 2.5
>>
>>Good Luck,
>>-Fred W

> Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. I have found a '96 328i, 5 spd
> that I think will turn out to be an OK car. The major drawback being that
> it's black, and where I live black is a very difficult color to have. When
> one buys used cars on The Cheap, then one can't alwasy be picky about color.
> ;-) I haven't actually been to see the car yet, but it takes a nice picture.
> I'm waiting on the insurance company to tell me that my car is totalled
> before I drive 50+ miles one way to look at a car.
>
> One other thing I was asking is if the 528 will suit me. I think that the
> [...]

Jeff,

WRT the black car, what color is the interior? That is really more
important to the temperature/comfort than the exterior. The only
downside to a black exterior is it's tough to keep it looking nice, but
the black leather is rough to sit in after it's been in an open parking
lot in the mid-day sun. I know this because my 540i is black/black.

As far as a 5'er vs 3'er, you should definitely drive one to answer your
question for sure. Yes, the extra grunt of the 2.8 will make the
acceleration of a 5'er similar to that of your old 325, *but* it won't
help the handling department and that (to me) is the bigger difference
from 3 to 5 series. The 3 series is far more nimble vs the 5, which is
more refined, especially at higher speeds. Driving a 3 series at over
100mph is exciting. Driving a 5'er at 100mph plus is, ho-hum...
controlled. Aside from passing all the other traffic at a rate of 40
mph you'd hardly know it. ;-)

Also, a 6 cylinder 5'er can be found with a 5 speed, and if you do you
may be able to get a much better deal, as most of them (in the US) ae
fitted with automatics or step-tronics, depending mostly on model year.
Beginning in MY 2000 most (all?) 5's seem to have steptronic.

So, in summary, I would consider what you will be doing with the car,
and what is the most important to you. Primarily highway, long distance
cruising? 5 series. Blasting down the canyon roads or stop-light
racing? 3 series.

Sounds like a fun decision either way...

-Fred W