Old February 4th 05, 11:38 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks MoPar for following that up. I did see that news item a while ago
and decided to do nothing until I am forced to. My main contention, that
Pipex is committed to usenet, is valid. The developments just mean that I
might wind up paying. Maybe my monthly download does not exceed the free
base amount.

I am not sure what the current server problems are, but I do sometimes not
see my posts, only reading them in somebody's reply. However, I have seen
other people reporting this, even though they are not on Pipex. Since I
switched to the text-based server a while ago I get the new stuff downloaded
pretty quickly.

Pipex is still getting over the old business relationship within MCI. For
example, the domain name registration service is still ridiculously
expensive, going via an old MCI division in the US. However, Pipex recently
bought a large local company and when I come to renew I'll probably go via
that, saving maybe 50% or 75% on present costs.

FYI Pipex was started here in the UK. It was taken over by UUNet, which
ultimately became part of MCI Worldcom. The Pipex brand name was used for
certain services throughout this period and now the company is back to
calling itself Pipex, even though the (newish) parent has/had another name.
Pipex is itself on the acquisition trail... blah blah blah...

DAS
---