Old July 19th 05, 10:56 PM
Dale

85 does not have VATS. That started in 86. The 85 has a simple metal
key with no pellet or contacts.

There is no way (that I know of) to disable the alarm system on an 85
short of removing the battery. I am used to the problem being in a
door or hatch switch but putting the key in and turning it should stop
any alarm, not set it off.

I've also heard of someone trying to pick a door lock and screwing up
the anti-tamper contact. That requires replacing the door lock.
Again, though, turning the key should stop the beeping, not start it.

Could the ignition switch have been tampered with?

On or about Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:58:25 GMT, "Tom in Missouri"
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>There is but the problem is probably your key. It is a known problem that
>as the contacts on the pellet on the key wear and get dirty, these problems
>occur. Try cleaning the contacts on the key or using your spare key.
>
>You may have to get a new key made at the dealer.
>
>There are pellet replacement bypass methods but then you have no security.

roups.com...