Old April 21st 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1972 Beetle Loses Power at Sustained High Speed / RPMs

Speedy Jim wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> Update: I'm going to try replacing the fuel pump. I took it back to
>> the mechanic and we disconnected the fuel line from the carburator to
>> make sure it was getting fuel from the pump. There was a steady flow
>> when the engine was running well, but when the problem was happening it
>> wasn't flowing at all or came out in spurts. I don't think it is
>> clogged, since it flows fine sometimes. So I guess the pump is broken.
>> Too bad, because it is a nice chrome pump, and the replacement I could
>> find on short notice doesn't look as good. Oh well, if this fixes it i
>> can start looking for a better one and replace it later.
>>

> Keep your nice chrome pump (IMHO).
> Pumps don't usually work sometimes and then quit for a while,
> only to have miraculous resurrection later.
>
> I don't think you have exhausted the clogging and/or tank venting
> possibilities yet.

More thoughts:
A fairly easy test you can do-

Take the fuel line hose off the pump *inlet*.
You may have to make some "creative" extension to the hose.
Put the hose end in a suitable fuel container.

You should be able to get flow by gravity.
If necessary, jack the front of the car up slightly.

Run maybe 1 gallon of fuel out this way.
If you get a strong, steady stream that doesn't diminish,
then I'll concede that there is no blockage and/or vent problem.
<bg>

Jim