Old July 15th 05, 02:59 PM
C. E. White

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:41:15 -0400, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Be specific. Of the items I mentioned (street paving in their town,
> >> the cost of traffic cops' salaries, and the cost of "free" parking),
> >> none are paid for entirely by gasoline taxes. Here in Orange County,
> >> these costs are largely paid for by property, Mello-Roos, and sales
> >> taxes like Measure M.

> >Maybe I don't understand the California / Orange County Budget process,

but
> >it seems to me from taking a quick look at the information available on
> >line, you are wrong.

> It's amazing how someone can be given a direct link to proof that I am
> right and still try to claim I'm wrong.
>
> I guess denial is not just a river in Eqypt...

I am amazed that you claim your are right when your own county's budget says
you are wrong. Read it. Clearly Orange County is collecting more "car
related" revenue than they are spending on roads. The fact that they are
collecting an additional property tax to replace the road related revenue
they blew on other things, is just an elaborate shell game. The politicians
claim they need the money for roads becasue that is popular. If they told
the truth, they'd never get the additional tax. You are merely helping them
screw you by not insisting they tell the truth about where the road related
revenue is actually being spent.

To make it clear to you, here is how I see it:

For 2004-2005

Orange County Total Revenue was 4,630.9 Million Dollars (that is one rich
county)
Most of this money came from intergovermental transferrs
Property Taxes only generated about 202.4 Million Dollars in Revenue
Motor Vehicle Fees generated 145.6 Million Dollars of Revenue all by
themselves

Look closely at page 524 of the budget (the Road Section
http://www.oc.ca.gov/finance/2005FN/appx_frm.htm) and page 244
(http://www.oc.ca.gov/finance/2006WB/p3_frm.htm ). Total projected road
expenses for 2004 -2005 were only $69,117,502. This is over 70 million less
than was collected from Motor Vehicle Fees alone in the year. And this
doesn't include revenue from intergovernemtnal transfers, motor vehicle
related fines and fees, property tax esrelated to motor vehicles and the
motor vehicle industry, etc., etc., etc.

Now explain to me how property taxes are paying for the roads in Orange
County.

You might also want to read page 246
(http://www.oc.ca.gov/finance/2006WB/p3_frm.htm) where they specifically
mention that $23M of gas tax revenue is beign diverted to cover a prior
bankruptcy.

Your politicians are screwing you.

Regards,

Ed White