Old May 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Harry K

John David Galt wrote:
> >> There are perfectly good tactics for stopping a suspect like that
> >> which don't endanger bystanders nearly as much. The obvious one

here
> >> would be to surround him with cop vehicles, which then gradually

stop.

> >> Maybe a few parked cars get crunched in the process, but nobody

gets
> >> shot.
> >>
> >> What a bunch of Barney Fifes.

> > Unfortunately, forcing a vehicle to stop by use of barricades has

been
> > ruled 'deadly force' by the courts. The cops have to always leave

an
> > out when setting up barricades to stop a speeding car. Not sure

about
> > your suggested technique of 'rolling roadblock'.

> And shooting at the car 200+ times isn't? Clearly the decision to

use
> deadly force had already been made. We're just discussing how to do

it
> without needlessly endangering bystanders. This isn't rocket

science.

At the time of the shooting there was no 'fleeing vehicle' thus no need
for a roadblock or time to set one up. From what I saw it looked like
he was pretty well boxed in anyhow. I did a quick and dirty google on
roadblocks this morning. Didn't find any discussing leaving an opening
but several equating roadblock=lethal force.

Harry K