Old May 10th 05, 06:52 PM

"JazzMan" > wrote in message
> mbjj wrote:
> >
> > Before I go taking off the head of this 1.0L Metro engine I'd like to

know
> > how a burnt valve acts in relation to the performance of the engine.

What it
> > is doing is acting like a bad miss. Like it even has water in the gas.

It
> > sputters and misses when it's under load [like climbing a hill or
> > mountain]. On straight roads when the load is reduced it straightens out
> > and runs well. I'm going to do a compression check here in a little bit

and
> > also change the plugs, wires and distributor cap before I get into the
> > head. We just bought this thing knowing it has a problem and the seller
> > seems to think he burned a valve. It also produces a puff of oil related
> > smoke out of the exhaust just after you start it [cold] and put it into
> > gear. It quickly goes away when shifting out of 1st and doesn't come

back
> > again until it cools off and restarts.

> The 1.0 3-cyl is notorious for burning exhaust valves. The
> effect is to lose compression on one one cylinder, creating
> a miss. Just get a rebuilt head and install it along with
> a new timing belt and you'll be fine. The last one I did
> the head was $325 at the local rebuilder.
>
> JazzMan

Usually a machine shop will grind the valves, install new seals, and even
true the mating surface
for a lot less than that. Essentially a head rebuild... is there something
special about this one
that would make you pay for a head exchange at this cost rather than
revamping the old one?