Old March 31st 05, 04:12 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Papa wrote:

>Not so much that way anymore. Diesel fuel should always be cheaper than
>gasoline because it does not get refined as much as gasoline. However, over
>the last couple of years diesel fuel has become more expensive than even
>regular (87 octane) gasoline. In my area of central Ohio diesel is running
>about 25 cents more per gallon than 87 octane. I sure would be interested in
>finding out why this is the case.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp would tend to
say that the refining per gallon costs more for diesel. I suspect
that is related to economy of scale. Refining techniques allow
conversion to lighter fractions. It is not just a matter of
separating the fractions.

> It's like charging a customer more at a
>restaurant if the customer does the cooking.

Did you ever notice that restaurants with without windows tend to
charge more that restaurants with windows?