Old October 8th 04, 03:35 PM
E. Meyer

On 10/8/04 8:09 AM, in article
, "Viktor"
> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I bought used '97 Civic CX 2-door hatchback two years ago and have
> noticed that the engine eats the oil signigicantly (3000 miles
> decreased the oil level by half). Otherwise it runs great, just passed
> the emission test.

What do you mean "decreased the oil level by half"? Halfway between "add"
and "full" on the dipstick, or disappears off the stick completely?

If its just down half a quart (between add and full on the dipstick), its
fine.

If it is literally using half the oil in it in 3000 miles (which would only
be down 2 quarts), it is still nominally within spec. Check it more often
and whenever it drops below the "add" line on the dipstick, put in one
quart.

> Is my engine on its way out?

Not enough info here. How many miles on it? Are you seeing a puff of blue
smoke when you drive it? Does it have any other problems?

> Is there some inexpensive way to correct it?

Probably not.

> If engine dies, how much could it cost to replace or repair the
> engine?

If the engine dies from oil starvation, you can pretty much just throw it
away.