Old June 2nd 05, 06:52 PM
Wayne Pein

John F. Carr wrote:

> But the cost of urban roads is mostly space, not pavement wear.
> Let's charge 1 cent per 10 km per square meter of road space
> used, including vehicle and clear zone.
>

> If the cyclist keeps right and expects a 1m clear zone on
> each side and 10m ahead and behind, that's 40 square meters
> or $80 per year.

If he is seen to be driving in the middle
> of the lane, or in the wrong lane, then he gets billed for
> the full 3.5 meter lane width for that year, or $280.

Oh no, bicyclists get to use the full 3.5 meter lane width (as we
currently do if we choose). Why would I want you in your dangerous
polluting vehicle encroaching on my lane if I'm paying for it? However,
since bicyclists are traveling slowly, say 15 mph, and so are following
vehicles, headway and tailway clearszones can be just 2.86 meters. So
bicyclists have 10 square meters or $20 per year.

> But then it has to be legal to run over bicyclists to tone down
> their obnoxiously self-righteous attitude. Of course, if they
> do get run over while obeying traffic laws they get a rebate on
> the space tax. But when was the last time you saw a biker in
> a city obey the law?

But then, it has to be legal to preemptively murder motorists on the
grounds of self defense.

Wayne