Old January 9th 05, 01:48 PM
Magnulus

If this were true (helmets snap your neck off), then there should be
alot of dead people in auto racing. But as it is, auto racing, at least
anything outside of NASCAR, has fairly low rates of fatalities.

I'm not talking about a full face helmet. I'm talking about a lightweight
helmet, something not much heavier than a bicycle helmet at most.

According to research in Australia, something as simple as a visor with an
inch of closed cell foam padding around the forhead and temples would also
offer alot of protection, reducing non-fatal brain injuries in side
collisions by perhaps as much as 3/4.

It's just something I think that should be considered. The thought of
dying isn't half as scary as the thought of living with substantial brain
damage. The NHTSA in the US, being the corporate backed shills they are,
is giving the auto industry about 5 years before they really put down the
screws and make all cars safer, including economy and smaller cars, not just
the high end ones.