Old July 21st 05, 07:11 PM
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> Pete wrote:

> >>That would be a bloody expensive head gasket In all seriousness, I'll
> >>check with my guru on Tuesday. In any event, I'm 99.999% sure it
> >>wouldn't be the head gasket. Sounds like they're trying to put some scares
> >>around.

> > From my understanding, it may be seen as a pre-cursor to the cam-belt
> > needing changing (not causing it - just an indicator).

> Why so, oh knowledgeable one? I was under the (quite possibly wrong)
> impression that it was oil driven?

I'm not sure - the old 8v variator was oil pressured.

However, I've also heard of Fiat Barchettas (which use the same variator
arrangement as the 2lt TSpark) that have run for several thousand miles
with noisy variators and no other problems.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL