Old December 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Steve

> Yep, I still see those occasionally, with the cheese-holed steel wheels.

You mean these?
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sglacker/...olara/Side.jpg
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sglacker/...lara/wheel.jpg

Those are 80s-vintage M-body copcar wheels (with circa 1970 dog-dish
caps). And no, that '66 is not a cop-spec, they never made any hardtop
(no B-pillar) copcars.

> I bet
> they don't have production to the point where they can offer a Police-spec
> Magnum, but they should make it a prioroity. That would be good advertising
> Texas Parts Guy

I've heard various stories on how the K-codes were built "back in the
day." The most plausible (to me) was that the assembly line did a run of
vehicles where the *procedures* were changed, not necessarily much of
the hardware. The reinforcing boxes and gussets that copcars had were
also used on Hemi and 440 muscle cars, the alternators and electrical
systems were used on the loaded luxury yachts, and the extra welds are
just a procedure change. So it really wouldn't be THAT hard to run off a
build of true K-code type copcars. Although, if you ask me, the Magnum
should get steel suspension components in place of the aluminum parts
for cop duty, and that would be a bit trickier and more expensive than
what had to be done with, say, a '69 Monaco which was pretty heavy-duty
just for REGULAR production.