Old June 24th 04, 02:57 AM
marx404

Default Redline ION test drive

Finally, I got a few minutes to drive the new ION Redline. Picked out a nice
empty winding service road and got it up into 4th gear. The shirt throw
shifter just snapped into each gear almost effortlessly. Man, I cannot
remember having such a thrill behind the wheel of a sport compact in a long
time. As it was new, I didnt want to dog on it, but what fun!! It hugged
every curve even when dropping from 3rd to 2nd gear. True toe-and heel
shifting and much enhanced steering than the regular ION and the Recaros
hugged with every curve. Just for fun I hit the brakes at 30 and she stopped
smoothly on a dime. Virtually no torque steer when accelerating. I really
felt that I had great confidence and control over this car at any speed. The
exhaust let out a sweet tone, yet it didn't resonate through the floor like
my Dynomax does in my 94 SL2. The suspension was so much smoother than what
I expected, yet firm enough to prevent body roll throughout the steep turns.
Well done Saturn! I do hope that this car is a symbol of things to come.

marx404