Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 1.62 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jack[_1_]
Forum: BMW March 13th 07, 06:31 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack[_1_]
BMW 318 manufactured in 1999

I agree with you completely regarding the Bentley manuals ..... but.
My car is a '91 318is which I love dearly except for the fact that it is a
real orphan when it comes to repair manuals. An e30...
Forum: BMW March 12th 07, 05:29 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack[_1_]
BMW 318 manufactured in 1999

According to Chilton you do not have to remove the manifold. or the
injection rail.
You do have to remove fuel lines, the strut supporting the intake manifold,
the dipstick tube and it's support,...
Forum: BMW March 11th 07, 05:56 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 4
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Help!

From under the car using two long extensions. Your ratchet will be behind
the gearshift lever on the drivers side.
Put a box end wrench on the front side. It will wedge against the starter
to...
Forum: BMW March 10th 07, 05:40 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Muffler on 1981 320

Here is the illustration from RealOEM for the 320is.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AK95&mospid=47259&btnr=18_0135&hg=18&fg=10

It's not that great of a picture and they don't go all...
Forum: BMW March 9th 07, 02:00 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 15
Posted By Jack[_1_]
bmw noise

It seems to me that John is talking about a different noise than the
original poster.
I think John is talking about the noise that sounds like a few golf balls
bouncing around inside the...
Forum: BMW March 5th 07, 06:54 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 7
Posted By Jack[_1_]
1985 635CSI

A car this old could have enough miles on it to have worn out the
distributor bushings. This causes the timing to become very erratic, the
engine misses and stumbles, especially at high rpms,...
Forum: BMW March 2nd 07, 07:25 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By Jack[_1_]
535i transmission

I see a few on Ebay for $500 to $800. I think you could probably find one
at a wrecking yard for less - maybe $350 if you shop. For a car of this age
you may not want to spend more than this...
Forum: BMW February 27th 07, 12:15 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 35
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Engine replacement on '94 530i

You don't seem to be considering what should be the most 'reasonable' course
of action.
Drive the car for another year as is while you find a good deal on a direct
replacement used engine.
It won't...
Forum: BMW February 26th 07, 11:51 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 3
Posted By Jack[_1_]
help i dont know what to do with my e36

One of the common faults that can result in the symptom that you describe is
an intermittent connection in the instrument cluster.
Try giving the face of the cluster a sharp rap with your knuckle to...
Forum: BMW February 25th 07, 07:44 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 19
Posted By Jack[_1_]
E39 3.0 - Oil consumption and suggestions

I have not as yet been convinced of the virtues of synthetic oil and have
been waiting for some evidence that it will extend the life of my engine. I
have had excellent experience using...
Forum: BMW February 23rd 07, 07:20 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 25
Posted By Jack[_1_]
E39 "ATF oil only"

Thank you very much Ambrose for remaining so civil.
I think several others in the group may need to take a lesson from you on
manners.

> wrote in message...
Forum: BMW February 22nd 07, 03:18 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 5
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Need a new windshield, pricing is quite varied

An OEM windshield will have the BMW logo etched on the glass in the same
place it is on your car.

"ted" <@ .com> wrote in message news:foMCh.3339$Cr1.2324@trnddc08...
>I have the rain sensor. My...
Forum: BMW February 20th 07, 05:46 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 27
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Engine Replacement

It sounds to me like this shop is not really interested in doing this job
judging from the prices quoted.
I see used M52 engines on Ebay for $2000 to $3000 so these guys are
apparently marking up...
Forum: BMW February 15th 07, 03:57 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack[_1_]
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

So it would be really easy to find out if unplugging the sensor had this
effect if someone had such a car available.

"Fred W" > wrote in message...
Forum: BMW February 15th 07, 04:53 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack[_1_]
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I don't believe that the O2 sensor has sufficient 'authority' to change the
mixture enough to cause the car to stop running.
I had a situation once where a mechanic destroyed the threads in the...
Forum: BMW February 8th 07, 12:56 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 6
Posted By Jack[_1_]
E36 engine change

Take them out together. The only way to take them out separately is to
remove the transmission first from below and then the engine from above. It
is much easier to take them out...
Forum: BMW February 4th 07, 11:50 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 2
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Replace Injectors--86 528e

When my '84 318i reached 250k miles I decided to replace the injectors just
because that's a lot of miles. The parts man at my local BMW dealer told me
two things that changed my mind. One that...
Forum: BMW January 17th 07, 02:22 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 6
Posted By Jack[_1_]
BMW classified?

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/default.aspx

"Mike B" > wrote in message
> Hello, I cam here looking for some classifieds. Can...
Forum: BMW January 15th 07, 04:29 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 5
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Distributor ignition cable order

The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

> wrote in message
> Oh sorry, I thought I had typed the model in. It's a 1981 BMW...
Forum: BMW January 15th 07, 06:34 AM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 13
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Winter advice

While that may work fine 'over there' John it can have disasterous results
in Iowa in January such as turning a harmless little pit in your windshield
into a big long crack. If you're going to...
Forum: BMW January 11th 07, 12:36 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack[_1_]
E39 520i Manual Gearbox or Clutch Costs. Anyone?

Your current post sounds like your clutch is worn out which would probably
cost you $1000 to $1500 to have it replaced but it also sounds like you may
have let it go too long and you may have...
Forum: BMW January 9th 07, 11:51 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 7
Posted By Jack[_1_]
BMW BAVARIA C REVERSE RDS

I had the same experience. I went to a "Car Toys" store and asked them how
to get a manual.
The guy walked out to my car and showed me how to do everything in just a
couple of minutes.
Anyone...
Forum: BMW January 9th 07, 05:11 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 5
Posted By Jack[_1_]
Fuel Gauge problem with 2004 X5

Here's a link to the illustration of your fuel senders from RealOEM. It
does show that you have two fuel gauge sender units although they both seem
to be mounted in one tank.
They may have...
Forum: BMW January 6th 07, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 9
Posted By Jack[_1_]
325i Over heating

You may be a victim of the infamous plastic impellor water pump that BMW
used in this era and that almost invariably fail eventually. Many people
replace them as preventative maintenance to avoid...
Forum: BMW January 4th 07, 09:31 PM Posted to alt.autos.bmw
Replies: 18
Posted By Jack[_1_]
SI lights wont reset

If I recall correctly this is a 1985 535i so there is no chance that the SI
board was originally fitted with Lithium Ion batteries because there was no
such thing in 1985.
Ni Cads are the proper...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74